- Title Pages
- Para Fátima
- Notes on Names, Titles, Spelling, and Translation
- Maps: City of Rio de Janeiro, Province of Rio de Janeiro, Empire of Brazil
- Introduction: An Obscured Genesis
- Chapter One The Port and Province of Rio de Janeiro
- Chapter Two The Threat of Revolution and the Reactionary Mobilization: 1831–1837
- Chapter Three Political Theory, Partisan Practice, and the Emperor's Emergence: 1837–1848
- Chapter Four Provincial Politics, Foreign Affairs, and Patronage: 1848–1853
- Chapter Five The Transformation of Politics and the State: 1853–1867
- Chapter Six Abolition, War, and the Vindication of Constitutional Government: 1867–1871
- Chapter Seven The Defeat of the Party: The Political Crisis of 1871
- Conclusion: Legacy and Metamorphosis
- Genealogical Tables
- The Party of Order
- Stanford University Press
Stanford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.