- Title Pages
- Note on the Text
- Chapter One Mediterranean Slavery
- Chapter Two Salvation without the State
- Chapter Three Manumission and Absolute Monarchy
- Chapter Four Bombarding Barbary
- Chapter Five Emancipation in an Age of Enlightenment
- Chapter Six Liberation and Empire from the Revolution to Napoleon
- Chapter Seven North African Servitude in Black and White
- Chapter Eight The Conquest of Algiers
- Appendix 1: Slave Numbers
- Appendix 2: Religious Redemptions and Processions
- Published Primary Sources
- Secondary Works
- Captives and Corsairs
- Stanford University Press
Stanford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.