- Title Pages
- Tables and Figures
- A Note on Weights, Measures, Brazilian Currency, and Orthography
- Chapter 1 A Brief Moment of Prosperity: Land, Opportunity, and Autonomy, 1845–70
- Chapter 2 Unruly Soldiers and Honorable Providers: Paradoxes of Masculinity and State Formation in the Backlands, 1840s–89
- Chapter 3 Poor but Respectable: Community, Family, and the Gendered Negotiation of Daily Life, 1845–89
- Chapter 4 A Changing World: Deprivation, Dislocation, and the Disruption of Honorable Masculinity, 1865–89
- Chapter 5 Masculinity Challenged and Affirmed: Autonomous Women, Men, and Violent Patriarchy, 1865–89
- Chapter 6 Of Courage and Manhood: Masculine Spaces, Violence, and Honor, 1865–89
- Cleansing Honor with Blood
- Stanford University Press
Stanford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.