STANFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS
- Stanford University Press
- Stanford, California
- © 2012 by the Board of Trustees of the Leland Stanford Junior University.
- All rights reserved.
- No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic
- or mechanical, including photocopying and recording, or in any information storage
- or retrieval system without the prior written permission of Stanford University Press.
- Printed in the United States of America on acid-free, archival-quality paper
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Goldman, Andrea S. (Andrea Sue), author.
- Opera and the city : the politics of culture in Beijing, 1770–1900 / Andrea S. Goldman.
- pages cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978–0–8047–7831–2 (cloth : alk. paper)
- 1. Operas, Chinese—Social aspects—China—Beijing. 2. Operas, Chinese—Political
- aspects—China—Beijing. 3. Operas, Chinese—China—Beijing—History and criticism.
- 4. Beijing (China)—Intellectual life—18th century. 5. Beijing (China)—Intellectual life—
- 19th century. I. Title.
- ML1751.C58G65 2012
- Typeset by Bruce Lundquist in 10.5/14 Adobe Garamond