- Title Pages
- List of Tables
- List of Figures
- Chapter One Neighborhoods and Inequality
- Chapter Two Material and Demographic Changes
- Chapter Three Slave Markets and Networks<sup>1</sup>
- Chapter Four Family, Work, and Punishment
- Chapter Five Illness, Recovery, and Death
- Chapter Six Pathways to Freedom: Manumission and Flight
- Chapter Seven“Manumissionists,” Abolitionists, and Emancipation
- The Hierarchies of Slavery in Santos, Brazil, 1822-1888
- Stanford University Press
Stanford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.