- Title Pages
- Illustrations and Maps
- Note on Language and Transliteration
- chapter 1 The Disorders of a New Order
- Chapter 2 A Barber at the Gate
- Chapter 3 “Cheap” Monumentality
- Chapter 4 Authority and History
- Chapter 5 A Room of His Own
- Chapter 6 Cutting the Barber's Tale
- Conclusion: From Nouveau Literacy to Print Journalism
- The Barber of Damascus
- Stanford University Press
Stanford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.