- Title Pages
- Orthography and Abbreviations
- 1 From Missions to TownsAmazonian Settlements in an Era of Reform
- 2 Forest Collecting Expeditionsand the Pursuit of Opportunities in the Sertão
- 3 Searching for “New People”
- 4 “The Indians of This Town Ebb and Flow”Absentee Movements Within the Colonial Sphere
- 5 Defining Indians and Vagrants
- 6 The Struggle for Autonomy in the Early Nineteenth Century
- 5 Conclusion Mobile and Rooted
- Appendix A Directorate Settlements in the Captaincies of Grão-Pará and São José do Rio Negro
- Appendix B Demography, 1770s–1790s
- Appendix C Ethnic Groups Appearing in Documents at the Arquivo Público do Estado do Pará (APEP) in Belém, Brazil
- Glossary of Portuguese and Língua Geral Terms
Stanford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.