- Title Pages
- Note on Sources
- Introduction The Routine and the Remarkable in State Formation
- 1 Sacropolitics
- 2 The Descent into Madness
- 3 The Consolidation of Casta Rule
- 4 Being (and Seeing) Like a State
- 5 Divided Elite and Disordered State
- 6 The Sacropolitics of Military Conscription
- 7 The Sacropolitics of Labor Conscription
- 8 Glimpses of Danger and Subversion
- Conclusion Behind the Mask of the State
- The Encrypted State
- Stanford University Press
Stanford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.